History

Washington Grove, a 26-acre old growth Oak-Hickory forest, is located in the southeastern corner of the City of Rochester. A group of citizens purchased the 26 acres to prevent it being used as a gravel pit, and in 1912 transferred the land to the City of Rochester as dedicated parkland. In 1932 the grove, on the bicentennial of his birth, was dedicated to George Washington. It now forms part of Cobbs Hill Park and is extensively used by people from Rochester and surrounding communities as a public amenity and green lung.

twirling tree